Analysis and Two Person Poem: Jekyll and Hyde

Image result for dr. jekyll and mr. hydeStep One: Comparing and Contrasting Descriptions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

In chapter one of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, written by Robert Louis Steveson, in the section "He is not easy to describe. There is something wrong... yet I really can name nothing out of the way," (Stevenson, 7), Mr. Hyde is described as displeasing and deformed. Dr. Jekyll, on the other hand, is described as warm, sincere, patient and enjoyable in chapter three when Stevenson writes, "To this rule, Dr. Jekyll was no exception;... a matter I thought we had agreed to drop," (Stevenson, 19-20).

These descriptions contrast each other, and the tone of each section contrasts with each other as well. Whereas the section discussing Dr. Jekyll is calm and collected, the scene where Mr. Hyde is described is jumbled and hard to follow as it seems that Mr. Einfield begins to ramble and is conflicted over how to describe Mr. Hyde. This confusing reaction to having to describe Mr. Hyde also contradicts the welcoming and warm reaction Mr. Utterson and Mr. Jekyll have towards one another in the other scene.

However, when Mr. Utterson mentions Mr. Hyde to Dr. Jekyll, Dr. Jekyll gains a displeasing look, similar to how Mr. Hyde was described in chapter one. This similarity in appearance between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde foreshadows the ending of the novella, where it is revealed that Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekyll are the same person.


Step Two: Two Person Poem


I am Dr. Jekyll


and I am Mr. Hyde,
which is quite a pickle


as I kill
and I hide.


Oh how I enjoy it,
oh how I suffer in despair,


the world is far more fascinating when you
don’t have a care.
If my truth came out my reputation, and
therefore I, would be done.


True evil and I are one.
I try to be the light


but for me, only darkness is in sight.
Everything you see is a lie,


I’m the only thing in this town that’s true on
the outside.
I long to indulge in my temptations,


who cares if I sever all of Jekyll’s relations?
Can I let go of this lie I have been living?


Why should I care if others are forgiving?
Oh, what should I do, to Utterson what should
I say?


Jekyll better watch what’s coming for him if
he tries to give my freedom away.

Explanation: In this two-person poem, I tried to convey how Jekyll was suffering as he didn't know how to handle Hyde. While Jekyll was attempting to be good, he was constantly worried about what would happen to him and his reputation if this secret came out. However, while this worried him, he still enjoyed turning into Hyde and letting go of all of his worries.

On the other hand, Hyde couldn't care less about what other people thought of him, and instead only cared about his freedom. He enjoyed committing terrible acts and being who he was without hiding or apologizing for his actions. I tried to show these conflicting personalities in this poem, and in making rhyme I was attempting to convey how even though these personalities were opposites, they still were meant to go together and be one.

Comments

Popular Posts